Steve Wood, Ph.D. & Bill Kanasky, Jr., Ph.D. talk about the impacts of PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) on witnesses in litigation. PTSD can occur in several different types of litigation and isn't exclusively just in cases involving vehicle accidents or bad medical outcomes. Steve and Bill provide a checklist for defense attorneys on what to look for when working with witnesses to identify potential PTSD issues that may require additional time, assessment, or even treatment.
Some signs to look for and/or questions to ask:
- intrusive memories and thoughts;
- negative changes in thinking and mood;
- ask about their relationships and their support network;
- assess their reactions and attitude;
- how's your sleep quality?;
- are you self-medicating/drinking?;
- are you experiencing or dealing with physical pain?